Five tips for Gas Safety Week from Gregor’s own Gas Safety Heroes

At Gregor Heating, we are proud to support Gas Safety Week. This year, 2018, it runs from 17th – 23rd September.

Gas Safety Week aims to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of the gas appliances in your home. It is co-ordinated by the Gas Safe Register, the official list of gas engineers (or gas safe heroes) who are legally allowed to work on gas appliances, which includes all the engineers at Gregor Heating.

Have you got a Gas Safe Hero in your life? At Gregor Heating, we are proud of every one of our Gas Safety Heroes who work tirelessly to ensure the safety of the heating systems they install and service.

Gas appliances including boilers that are badly fitted or poorly serviced can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. Every year thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon Monoxide is a highly dangerous gas that can kill quickly with no warning, as you cannot see it, taste it or smell it. Last year we wrote this blog about the danger signs.

By taking good care of your gas appliances you are taking care of your home and your loved ones. So we asked our own Gas Heroes for their top tips on keeping you and your home warm and gas safe.

• Check your engineer is directly employed and qualified for the type of gas work you need doing e.g. natural gas, domestic boiler. You can find this information on the back of their ID card. All Gregor engineers carry one.
• Check your gas appliances every year. All gas appliances should be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Be aware, that not having appliances regularly serviced can affect their warranty. Tenants – make sure your landlord arranges this. For further information visit our servicing and maintenance page.
• Check for warning signs that your appliances aren’t working correctly, such as lazy yellow /orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and its casing cover, a pilot light that keeps going out and too much condensation in the room.
• Know the six main symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
• Have an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.
For more tips around gas safety, visit the Gas Safety Week website.

If you have any concerns about your gas boiler or would like to book an annual boiler service, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with the Gregor team on 0117 935 2400.